How to smoothly change property management agents
6th Jun 2018
One of the biggest challenges facing a management company, free holder or even landlords is making sure that they have the right property management agents working for them. If the problem arises that they feel like they don’t, it can be easily rectified.
DIFFICULTIES YOU COULD FACE
- Explaining to tenants that their current property management company is not serving its purpose.
- People might not be wanting to change from the current property manager you have in place.
- Your decision may be rushed because you are under pressure from everyone to chose the right property management company.
- Not everyone will be able to agree on who they want to be their next property manager.
WHERE DO I START?
- To start off with, you must consider the current services you are being given, why you’re not pleased with them, and how you would like to be treated by your next property manager.
- Next, make a list of 3 or 4 property management companies that you find interesting and could be considered suitable for the job.
- When the candidates come for their interview, make sure that you have some questions ready for them, for example ask them for a quote; this will help sum up what their values are and give you an idea of the type of management approach they will be using with you, tenants and other people involved in the property.
- When it comes to the transition, some agents like to send out a letter advising an appointment, whereas others will suggest a meeting so that you get to meet everyone that will be involved in the management of the property.
It’s always a bonus when the client is able to support with obtaining information about the property before hand but in most cases a good managing agent should be able to manage a property without much information at all, and make sure that the hand over is as harmonious as possible.
A FINAL THOUGHT
Changing property management companies is not that hard of a process, so if you’re looking at transitioning over to a new management agent or would like to speak to us in terms of managing your own property – we’d love for you to get in touch with us at Blocsphere!