27th Jun 2018
One quarter of all insurance claims made in blocks of flats are for water damage caused by leaks. Water damage can cause a lot of problems, not only do you have to deal with the physical damage of the building, but you also have to deal with the cost of repairs and the potential tension between you and your neighbour or the other person affected, neither of you knowing who to blame.
HOW PREVENT LEAKS
- Check conditions of seals around taps, basins, baths and showers.
- Check grout between tiles; gaps may lead to damp patches.
- Check toilet to make sure pipes are fully connected
- Check seals at the back of work tops and sinks.
- Check pipes behind washing machine, dishwasher and behind sink.
Damage caused by Leaks:
- Damaged flooring/carpets
- Leaking into flat below yours
BUILDING INSURANCE AND WATER DAMAGE
- Insurance will cover certain things but not the cost of damaged pipework
- If the leak is from one particular flat, that leaseholder may have to pay for the damage caused even if it’s in the communal area.
- Building policy covers repairs and redecoration but not content owned by the resident(s)
Damage to contents:
- Leaseholders should have content cover
- Damaged items can only be replaced if both leaseholders affected hold policies.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR HOMES AFFECTED BY WATER DAMAGE:
- Make sure the property is safe before entry
- Try to avoid direct contact with water
- Switch off the electricity supply
- Unplug damaged electrical devices
- Don’t attempt any electrical repairs yourself
- Arrange for a full inspection to be carried out
- Test all fixed equipment
- Registered electrician needs to dry all cables
- If rewiring is needed, ask the registered electrician about the possibility of raising the height of the newly installed electrical equipment, including fuse box and sockets.
Our dedicated maintenance co-coordinator, Rebecca Morris, is available from 9-5 Monday- Friday. Aside from Rebecca’s services we also offer an emergency out of hours help line accessible 24/7, a member of our team is always available if you have an emergency or even just a small leak that you’re getting a little worried about and our trust worthy contractors will be on site promptly. Here at Blocpshere we have confidence in our services and we want our clients to feel that way too; that’s why we like to solve any problem as soon as we can, and make sure that it is done to the highest standard.