Burglary & Security
16th May 2018
So, Summer is approaching which means lighter have finally arrived; but are lighter nights a blessing or a curse? Did you know that homes with no security measures in place are five times more likely to be burgled than homes with simple security measures? Yes, five times. Here at Blocsphere we like to make sure our clients feel safe, secure and happy; so here are a few tips on how to secure your home and help prevent becoming the victim of burglary.
DOORS AND WINDOWS
In most burglaries, the criminal has broken into the property through the door, either by forcing the lock or kicking it in, or by getting through a window. So, you need to make sure that these two points of entry are safe, strong and secure. Here are a few tips on how to do that:
- Consider fitting a bar for extra strength.
- Make sure you lock the doors and windows when leaving the house, even when you’re in the garden.
- Glass panels on doors are particularly vulnerable; you can replace the standard glass with laminated glass which is stronger, or you can also buy a film from most DIY shops which you can stick over the glass to make it harder to break.
- Buy key operated locks for downstairs windows and other windows upstairs that are easy to reach.
- If you are not sure who is at your door, don’t open it.
- Check the identity of the person by calling the company they claim to be from but use the number from a phone book, not one they have given you as it could be a fake.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU’RE NOT HOME
- Secure bikes by locking them in a secure shed.
- Secure garden tools and ladders as they could assist breaking into your property.
- Ensure that side and rear gates are secure, so your property can’t be broken into from behind.
- Remove all valuables from view and secure them in a safe or a vault.
- Don’t hide your keys, give them to a trusted friend or member of the family, burglars know where to look.
- Consider joining a neighbourhood watch team.
A FINAL THOUGHT
These are only a few basic tips but if you take them into account and start to apply them to your every day life, it will reduce your chances of becoming a victim. Blocsphere takes care of it’s clients, we like to make sure that you are safe, secure and know you are.